Problems publishing SPD 2010 workflows and InfoPath forms
September 16, 2014
Posted by on
So I have been working on a project on SharePoint 2010 that is basically a list where the input form has been customized using InfoPath. We decided to go this route using a list instead of using a Forms library because of the capability in workflow to send dynamic emails to multiple people if and only if it comes from a Person or Group column.
The problem came when I got up around 75 columns. Suddenly, I found that I could no longer publish the InfoPath form. I got “The SOAP Message could not be parsed.” If I removed a column or 2, or got rid of a rule, or a data connection, suddenly I could publish again. But there seemed to be this magic, undefined breaking point that I couldn’t exceed before I’d start running into problems.
So now, I had to implement the SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow. I knew I needed probably 3 workflows, one for create, and 2 for on change. However, once I got past 2 or 3 IF statements, I could no longer publish the workflow either. It would save, but on publish it would give me “Unexpected error on server associating the workflow.” Now mind you, I did NOT have any Start Approval Process or similar actions – one of those content-type actions. These were just simple conditions, emails, and setting of a few fields.
I found that I had to break my work up in to 16 workflows. Each one started out with a condition to see if it should run. This was getting ridiculous, and finally I got to a point where I couldn’t get any more granular and still it wouldn’t publish. As suggested by some posts, I tried increasing $app.UserDefinedWorkflowMaximumComplexity in PowerShell (where $app is the SPWebApplication in question) and I also tried adding a timeout value to the web.config.
So this whole time, I’m working from my contractor’s computer. The SharePoint system in question was exposed over the internet using a UAG appliance for firewall and authentication. Normally, this is not an issue, as I can usually get everything done I need to. On a whim I decided to open everything up from the customer’s computer, which incidentally has a VPN connection to their system, and voila, I can publish InfoPath forms and Workflows now with no issue. <sigh> It’s the little things that get you.